The Banner

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1973-07-29 New York, NY, USA - 8mm film Options · View
ssellers
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:12:35 AM

The film mentioned there :
http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/sourceinfopage.aspx?sourceid=510
is actually from the last show at the MSG.

The sound is not really synched up, but it's the actual sound from the concert, and it's from the 29th.
Your Overlord
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:06:17 AM

ssellers wrote:
The film mentioned there :
http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/sourceinfopage.aspx?sourceid=510
is actually from the last show at the MSG.

The sound is not really synched up, but it's the actual sound from the concert, and it's from the 29th.

Are you sure? I thought that the show when JPJ wore that cowboy'ish shirt was the 28th.

And am I right in think (although I see that the database needs to be fixed to reflect this) that this is just raw 16mm footage from TSRTS?
ssellers
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:41:43 PM

Your Overlord wrote:

Are you sure? I thought that the show when JPJ wore that cowboy'ish shirt was the 28th.

I listened to the bow solo part of the three nights and only the 29th did match.
I hadn't paid attention to Jonesy's shirt, maybe he wore the jacket too in other parts of the show ?
Before this clip was released on bootlegs, this film was refered as "july 29th" on Rapallo's website, it's Cosmic Energy that gave it the date of 28th when they revealed it on Assemblage.
This clip is now on Zep's youtube official channel as "july 29th" (though Rapallo had made mistakes about other films' date).

Your Overlord wrote:

And am I right in think (although I see that the database needs to be fixed to reflect this) that this is just raw 16mm footage from TSRTS?

I have been wondering the same thing...it looks like the pro footage : the colors, the angle...
Moreover that seems strange a roadie would have filmed some minutes of the show with a 8mm cam while 16mm cams were shooting all around.
In the other hand, it looks pretty amateur, rough zoom in and zoom out, shaky, sometimes blurry, the grain looks more like 8mm, and the snippets are shorter than they would be with pro cams.
So I'm still thinking it's 8mm, but I don't totally exclude the "raw 16mm footage" theory.
Your Overlord
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:35:34 PM

Alright I changed it to the following night. I am not completely convinced that this isn't raw 16mm footage from the movie, but I'll flag it as 8mm semi pro shot since it is only three minutes long and shot from a vantage point that would mean that the cameraman was on the stage.

It was either shot by a roadie or one of the film crew for TSRTS.

Following changes to be reflected in version 1.2

Changed the date of the Side stage MSG 73 footage from the 28th to the 29th
Changed the type of recording from 'Pro shot' to 'Semi Pro Shot'