The Banner

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

About this Site Options · View
Your Overlord
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:19:27 PM

Hello and welcome to LedZeppelin-Database.com.

I want to explain the goals of the site and define what you will, and will not see here.

The site is built on top of a full relational database. It contains thousands of records pertaining to Zeppelin’s music and performances including everything from venues, cities, countries, festivals, bootlegs, sources, albums, songs played, artists covered, artists played with, lyrics, setlists, cancelled shows, recorded shows, etc… It also has a complete searchable transcription of plantations for their entire career, hundreds of photos, audio samples and new things will be added in the future. All the power and flexibility that a database provides enables you to cross reference and sort the data in a lot of fun and interesting ways.

As you can imagine, a project like this can get very big and some of the originally planned features have not been included in an effort to get the site up and running. Through the feedback, in the form of additions and corrections, I hope that this site can become the ultimate resource for accurate information on Zeppelin on the web. I want this to be the place where newbies come to see what’s out there and a place where the fact geeks come to answer obscure questions.

The database is as accurate as I could make it right now, but there are many holes to be filled by people as they are noticed, and the main reason that a forum has been included is to enable people to have a vehicle to give feedback. The forum is broken into categories and over time they will be refined and new ones will be added. If someone thinks that a certain piece of information in the database is incorrect they can post it in the appropriate place on the forum and we can have a discussion on the topic and see if we can arrive at a consensus. There is no fact or detail that is too small to be worth correcting.

The plantations are rife with typos and inaccuracies. Sometimes I would understand only a word or two in a given sentence from a poor recording and just skipped the sentence altogether. As better versions of tapes come out and more people tune their ears to what was said I hope to continue to get the plantations more and more accurate. I also would like to add some stage direction in them as well. Things like (band leaves stage) or (audience member shouts) will add context to the plantations so a reader can better understand what was going on. If Robert is talking to an audience member it is awkward to just read his half of the conversation if we don’t point out what is happening.

I have made a lot of judgment calls on which dates to include and how to identify and map out the songs in the medleys. Many of these choices may be wrong and I’ll let the community decide where certain lines should be drawn. Mapping out the songs in the medleys was extremely difficult, and in some places impossible, as Plant would sing lines from multiple songs in succession over the same music, such as the case with ‘Truckin Little Mama’ and ‘Bottle Up and Go’ in the ‘How Many More Times’ medleys in 69 and 70.

I had to decide what constituted a song, and where to mark its beginning and end. For example, I didn’t consider the start of ‘Boogie Chillun’ to be when he sang “One night I was laying down” as sometimes he would start with that line and never actually get to the song, or perhaps they would play another song in between. I started it when the main riff came in. When does ‘Goin Down Slow’ become ‘Shape I’m In’? What made Zeppelin so dynamic live also made them very difficult to catalog and I have done the best that I could. I figure that we can improve on this as well through discussion.

For songs covered, I tried to differentiate between the writer of the song and the popularizer of the song. A song’s credit is a fact, but often times the popularizer is a judgment call. A Popularizer is the artist that we most associate with a given song and keeping track of that fact is important because people may want to see how many Elvis tunes that Zeppelin covered even though Elvis himself didn’t write any of them.

The setlists and lists of recordings will only ever include things that commonly circulate. There will be no speculation of what may be out there and no guesses of songs that were played. Nor will there be any discussion of privately held things that members of the site may or may not have. If a given source hasn’t been booted or torrented then it is not considered to be part of the record and therefore will not be part of the database.

There is a lot of text on the various pages of the site and keeping your browser’s text size as small as you can tolerate is generally a good idea. Please let me know if you have any technical issues as well, as your particular setup may be one that hasn’t been tested and I want to make sure that all of the pages display in the correct manner.

In the upper left corner of the banner at the top of the page you can see the Version number of the site. Over the coming months and years I will be adding new features and updating the site as time permits. As I respond to additions and corrections put forth in the forum I will be noting that a given change will be reflected in a certain version of the site. I am relieved to finally get this up and ready to go as it has now been more than three years since I first started it, even though there have been a few periods of burnout that I had to overcome during that time. I am excited to see what we can turn this into.

Thanks for reading…

Sincerely, Your Overlord
dadgad
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:30:08 AM

All the best for this adventure, looks great.
GL

...how years ago in days of old, when magic filled the air...
Amduscia
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 4:54:15 AM

wow, this looks amazing!
congratulations!

LED ZEPPELIN LIVE - Alpha And Omega
http://www.lz-alphaomega.com
irg82
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 9:55:41 AM

Great Job!

I always thought it'd be cool if someone did something like this.
Zepp-4-Life
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:43:00 AM

It's a pleasure to break my cherry here on the site while congratulating you on a job well done.

Canada salutes you !!

cheers

carky63
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 11:57:55 AM

Nice job Your Overlord. Have always respected your opinions and comments at RO.=d>
Jangles
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:23:20 PM

The more I look, the more I am amazed.

Congrats on the incredible site clap

Do you have any objections to passing the link to your site onto other people, or would you prefer to keep it confined?
Your Overlord
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:35:19 PM

Jangles wrote:
The more I look, the more I am amazed.

Congrats on the incredible site clap

Do you have any objections to passing the link to your site onto other people, or would you prefer to keep it confined?

Thanks. Please pass it on to anyone who would be interested. It is out there officially now.Wink
suzepchick
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:39:48 AM

Wow!
Very impressed with this site...
I've been searchin'away...
Thank you my Overlord..

clap
Sequoia
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:33:30 PM

Very cool. And just when I thought I had my Led Zeppelin addiction under control.... baby baby (like the new smileys too thumbs )
AcmeQuaaludeCoLtd
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 7:38:27 PM

This looks great! If you want some help with correcting the typos, let me know. wave
Nech
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 7:06:17 AM

Very nice!
ZEP77
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 10:23:07 AM

Great site!

Erica
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 7:31:28 PM

thumbs thumbs popcorn Very Happy whistle thumbs thumbs
FSMITH9095
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:52:35 AM

Very nice indeed! Thanks.
Dark Star
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:26:11 AM

This is very impressive indeed, excellent work!
Ledhed
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:05:42 PM

I've been checking it out for a few hours now and know that I have barely scratched the surface of this wealth of information.Very well done.thumbs
Evster2012
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:47:36 AM

Wow Overlord! Very impressive and exciting! Well done! Hope we can all help fill in those little gaps! thumbs
Rascal
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:30:44 AM

Just got here....fantastic clap great work !,now off to have a look around. Very Happy

Hangman, hangman, upon your face a smile
Tell me that I'm free to ride, ride for many a mile.
btherain
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:14:04 PM

I like it. clap Thanx for all the hard work!!